See the column to the right for today’s Moon sign. This text is for days when the Moon is in Virgo.
- Today’s Question: “How can I help?”
- Today’s Gods: Mercury/Hermes, messenger of the Gods and God of trade. Vesta, keeper of the sacred flame. Also: the servant, the vestal virgin, the clerk.
- Today’s Guides: civil servants; maintenance personnel; editors; grain farmers; gardeners.
- Celebrity Docents: Tavis Smiley, Robert Benchley, David Souter, Sean Connery, Tommy Lee Jones, James Gandolfini, Harry Connick Jr., Queen Elizabeth I, Werner Herzog, Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz, Salma Hayek, Leonard Cohen, Keanu Reeves, Dave Chapelle, Adam Sandler, Peter Sellers, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Elvis Costello, Agatha Christie.
- Today’s assignments: Analyze, discriminate, soothe, untangle.
Victorian art critic John Ruskin summed up the Moon in Virgo perfectly when he wrote, “Fine art is that in which the hand, the head and the heart go together.” Many are talented with their hands, possess a keen intellect, or harbor sensitive and empathetic souls – but the hat trick, the three together, is rarely achieved. While the Moon is in Virgo, we’re drawn to the challenge.
To be of service – untangling the knots of the world, solving vexing problems, relieving pain and suffering – this is a Virgo impulse. Throw the Moon into the mix and even the psyche grows watchful. You don’t need to be asked for help; today, you observe need in the smallest gesture, the faint tightening around a loved one’s mouth. The physical world whispers to you and intuitively, almost unconsciously, you respond. You add more oregano to the sauce without tasting it; somehow, you know just how much it needs. You reach for precisely the right size screwdriver to fix the cupboard hinge. The computer that’s been acting up for days suddenly relaxes in your presence.
Today, while the Moon is in Virgo, aspire to craft, to art, to empathy; show the world how well you understand it – how carefully and thoroughly you can love it. Here’s Virgo acoustic guitar legend Leo Kottke, who also possesses a Virgo’s razor-sharp wit: